The future of surgery is here.
Keyhole surgery has been available in human medicine for years.
It has only become recently available for our pets. Yet they deserve the benefits as well.
We were the first clinic in Adelaide to offer this service, starting in 2008.
Why keyhole surgery?
The advantages of keyhole surgery as opposed to “normal” open surgery include:
- Minimal invasiveness
- Small incisions
- Rapid patient recovery
- Reduced post-operative pain
- Improved diagnostic accuracy due to superior magnification
- Reduced infection risk
What can be performed?
The following are some of the procedures that can be done via keyhole at Southern Animal Hospital (Morphett Vale):
- Bladder stone removal
- Liver, kidney and pancreatic biopsy
- Intestinal biopsy and foreign body removal
- Prophylactic gastropexy (to prevent life-threatening bloat in at risk breeds)
- Removal of retained testicles
- Feeding tube placement
- Cancer staging/tumour biopsy
- Diagnostic thoracoscopy (avoiding painful open chest surgery)
- Arthroscopy (exploring painful joints)
Please discuss with your veterinarian if your pet’s operation is suitable to be performed via keyhole.